Here’s what happening:
- President Trump — who is on a 17-day vacation or working vacation, depending on who you’re talking to — appears to be spending his days watching cable news and tweeting about it. He’s staying at his New Jersey golf club while the White House undergoes major renovations.
- On Tuesday, Trump — who despises leaks and anonymous sources in the media when they are critical of him — retweeted a Fox News story based on … leaks of classified information. 🤔
- Later Tuesday, Trump will hold a briefing on the opioid crisis with Secretary of Health and Human Services Tom Price.
- The Trump administration scored a big foreign policy victory over the weekend — getting a unanimous decision from the United Nations security council to pass $1 billion worth of sanctions against North Korea for its missile launches. The North said it would retaliate a “thousand-fold.”
- Another big story was a New York Times report that Vice President Pence is laying the groundwork for a possible 2020 presidential run (yes, already). Pence denounced the report and Trump lashed out at the paper on Monday.
- The top Justice Department official said this weekend that Robert Mueller, the special counsel investigating possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia, has the ability to investigate any potential crimes he comes across. Trump has said investigating his family’s finances — which Mueller is reportedly doing, according to CNN and Bloomberg — is off limits.
Content retrieved from: https://www.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeednews/live-dc-updates-week-of-080717?utm_term=.tyPBlJP8g#.dt7O9w5vD.